Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Heaven Forbid!

I'm baaa-aack. Did you miss me? Boy, does my family make it difficult to get my time in on the computer when they are all home. School's back in session, hubby is working hard preparing for harvest, and I can finally reconnect with my computer.

A few weeks back, when I went to register the kids at school and pay their book fees, I didn't take the kids with me. We were getting ready to leave on a camping trip, so they stayed home finishing chores while I drove the four short miles to the school. When I arrived back home a few minutes later, they met me at the door, two questions on their lips. The first question required only a short answer: Who's my teacher?

The next question called on all my powers of memory and recall to answer: Who's in my class? They wanted me to recite from memory their entire class list--all 20-some kids, times two classes! I could remember most of the highlights, but I definitely left some kids out. That's when they started asking about specific people. Is Kody in my class? Is Megan? Did you see Sarah on the list?

That got me thinking about heaven. God reminded me, through my kids' excitement, that there will be another day when a list is posted and we'll all crowd around wondering Who's on the list? Are my friends going to be here with me?

In the New Testament, we are told of the list that will be posted at the end of the world as we know it. The Lamb's Book of Life will be opened and the names of those who have been declared righteous will be read. I, for one, plan on being in the right line when that day comes. In listening to the excitement my kids felt about their friends spending 2nd or 4th grade with them, it reminded me that I need to get even more excited about my friends (and family) spending eternity with me.

You see, my kids had no influence over who got onto the same list that they did. But I can influence, with my words and my life, everyone whom I come into contact with each day. Winding up on the List of Lists at the end of time is no accident. It isn't even a reward for living right or being a good person. The only way to be declared righteous is through accepting the gift of grace and mercy that Jesus gave you when He died on the cross in your place. See, keeping with my metaphor here, Jesus is the best teacher to get. What's more, He offers every one of us the opportunity to be in His class. But He won't force any of us to choose His class (or His leadership in our lives). His ultimate act of grace is to give us what we want when we die--to be with Him or to be apart from Him. He leaves the choice to each one of us.

That will be a wonderful day when I arrive in heaven and see who is in "class" with me. I hope that you'll be there too. If you'd like to know more about how to get on the right "class list", please contact me and I'd be happy to help you. Heaven forbid that you're not there--it just won't be the same without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment